Monday, 27 April 2015

Stolen: A letter to my captor by Lucy Christopher

6408862

I had heard so many good things about this book that I had to pick it up and the fact that Lucy Christopher is Lecturing at the University where I graduated and the publishing company is so close to home had me itching to read it. So I did. 

I was hooked from the very first page with this story, The main character Gemma is relateable not only with young adults but with everyone because we have all been in the place where Gemma is at the beginning of the book. Her parents pay her little attention and her best friends have gone on holiday together without her so when Ty shows her some attention she is curious. 

I found the plot gripping which is amazing for a book that is set mostly in the middle of nowhere with most of the story taking place inside Gemma's mind. It was easy to feel like you were there with the two of them. As I read the letter style story I as Gemma did had a soft spot for Ty, what he did was wrong but as I got to know him better I began to feel for him. My emotions twisted and turned from love to hatred as Gemma wrote her conclusion and you realise that your too as a reader are confused. You should be angry but your not, you shouldn't feel bad for the kidnapper but you do. I obviously wouldn't normally be wanting Gemma to fall in love with Ty and live happily ever after in the middle of nowhere with a camel but that is what Lucy Christopher made me want.

Along the was Lucy Christopher managed to educate me a little on Stockholm Syndrome without boring me and we sort of got to experience it for ourselves. I know I wondered at the end if they should just be together because he clearly worships the ground she walks on. I loved everything about this book. Everything!

If you dont read anything else this year or ever you should add this to your to be read list.  

Thanks For Reading

Em x