Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Seed by Lisa Heathfield


I requested this book from NetGalley and I was thrilled when my request was accepted. I have never picked up a book like Seed and I had really high hopes.

I was right to expect so much from this book and every expectation I had was met within its pages. I found Seed captivating from start to finish. It was beautiful and creepy at the same time.

This is the story of Pearl and her life at Seed. Nature provides everything Pearl needs to be happy at Seed with her loving if not strange family. Seed is ruled by a man named Papa S, he has been chosen by nature to lead the group. I liked Pearl a lot, she was confused for most of the book but that is understandable, I would be too. She loves everyone, she is kind and caring and innocent. I enjoyed the moment of realisation when it finally came. 

When Pearl finally becomes a women at 15 things start to become a little strange. Ellis and his family are invited into Seed from the outside and he kind of turns Pearls world upside down. He points out all of the things that are wrong with the family and there are a lot of things wrong. 

I found Papa S exactly as he was cruel, manipulative, greedy and excuse the pun but Seedy. Its amazing to me that this story is not far from real life for some who live in cult like communities. 

I have loved this story from start to finish. I thought the plot had great development of the characters even the younger children had a spot in my heart. I gave this book a 5/5 on Goodreads and will be purchasing a physical copy for my bookshelf to reread in the future. 

Thanks for Reading

Em x